Exodus Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for the Exodus clan of the Halo universe. A place to chill, chat, and ramble incoherently.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guns... yay or nay?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ExD Insomnia
Fearless Leader/Jesus lover
Fearless Leader/Jesus lover

Guns... yay or nay? Empty
PostSubject: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 10:12 pm

After debating this topic in work today, I figured I would let you guys tell me your opinion on it.

Currently in the second amendment of our Constitution's Bill of Rights, we are given the right to keep and bear arms.

Is this a good law?

Do you think we would have less or more crime if assault weapons were banned?

Getting to the point.. do you think it is the government's responsibility to place restrictions on whether citizens may or may not own weapons?
Back to top Go down
ExDBigysmals
The Godfather
The Godfather

PostSubject: Re: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 11:08 pm

This ammendment was placed in our constitution in a time when governments were known to take the weapons of those who rebelled in order to maintain supreme law.

Some say that because of this reason and the fact that the bill is so old that it is unneccessary now in our time, and that it only leads to a more violent world so it should be tossed out.

These people are both right and wrong.

When a government moves to take full control over its people it first has a laundry list of chores to accomplish first and foremost. These examples can be speciffically seen through out history, but to save time Ill just go ahead and list them. comment later if youd like to know what they pertain to.

LIST OF FULL CONTROL: (note these are not listed in any particular order)
1.Kill all leaders/anyone who holds any real influence

2.Kill all the smart people

3.Kill all the creative people

4. Shut down or severely limit private institutions

5.Shut down universities

6. Create a scape goat

7. Prpaganda control

8. REMOVE ALL CIVILIAN WEAPONRY

This list is incomplete ofcourse, but it still drives the point home. The Britsh were quick to try and remove the weapons of their rebels. Our founding fathers so it fit to make this an unaliable right given to man so that in the future the government could not make this move against its people without a SERIOUS fight.

That being said I believe the ammendment should stay. We have these rights as more than just a physical protection, but also as a representation of the freedom we have in this country. This ammendment stands as a constant reminder that the government is to never limit the potential of its people. It is important that AMericans maintain this mindset. We are a country built for the people BY the people. Our government is only as strong as we allow it to be. Americans need to know this and our government needs to respect this.

Its getting harder and harder though as our government expands more and more and we face the daily struggle of holding on to our rights as American citizens, rights that our founding fathers understood to represent so much more than just the ink the were on paper.

As for the type of weapons allowed to keep...that is a whole other discussion in itself. Personally I believe that having a gun is a right but it is at the same token a great privelage and responsiblity to have. Like anything in life that requires great responsibility, great experience and action is demanded. I say the more powerful the gun the more credentials you will need to have to own. Lets use an example.

Theres a boy named Branden. He's your everyday average 19 year old cool cat who really wants an automatic machine gun. Not just any automatic machine gun, one of those HUGE ones they put on top of Humvees. I believe Branden has the right to own a gun, but does not yet have the credentials nor experience needed to maintain and properly use this weapon without a great chance of hurting himself or someone else.

Theres a man named Jacks dad. Jacks dad is an old guy whos been using guns all of his life. His collection varies from sniper rifles to uzis, and possibly a rpg. Shoot he probably has a A bomb under his bed. Jacks dad has TONS of experience in the art of gun care and maintainence. He has proven he could handle a really big ass gun if need be.

Now who do you think should be allowed to own the really big guns and who gets to start out mastering the sling shot first??? The answer is pretty simple.

Get my point?
Back to top Go down
ExD Reflection

PostSubject: Re: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 am

I like your point, and I couldn't agree more. lol to the last part

if we are not allowed to have guns, then how are we going to be able to protect ourselves from home invasions, and things that happen when the cops are not around? I think it is good that we have them, and its not like the government doesn't have enough control already, they know who has guns, and how many, every gun has to be registered, and you cannot bring a handgun home with you right when you want it, you have to wait a few days for all the paperwork to go through.
Back to top Go down
ExDBigysmals
The Godfather
The Godfather

PostSubject: Re: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 8:36 am

I found a video randomly and I want to use it to celebrate this post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYv-kiZWSgc&feature=haxa_popt18us09

hahahahha awesome
Back to top Go down
ghandiii202

ghandiii202

PostSubject: Re: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 9:26 am

haha nice video. well anything in the bill of rights i see as unchangeable law in our country. I have huge faith in our founding fathers and the constitution they put forth. As for the possible outdatedness of this amendment i have one point. The elasticity clause was built into our constitution to purposefully incorporate vague ideas so that they can be interpreted differently through the changing years of our society. This amendment is not vague, and clearly stated that we have the right to firearms. The founding fathers were very clear on their intention on this subject.
Back to top Go down
Exd Bloodshot
Local Shinobi
Exd Bloodshot

PostSubject: Re: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Ok this is me at my most extreme right wing, but I feel we should be able to own any type of gun so long as we have the proper training, license and mental profile. The reason for this is that My interpretation of the constitution is that the right to bear arms was to aid in the formation of militia and to protect ourselves. In Illinois, recently impeached governor blagojevich passed a bill banning the sales of 50 caliber sniper rifles stating they can pierce a through a tank. Frankly, this pisses me off because if something terrible were to happen and I found myself under fire from a tank, I wouldn't be able to defend myself. I am actually being serious, I know this can come of as slightly satirical but I assure it is not. I mean we americans think we are invincible until something like pearl harbor and 911 happens
Back to top Go down
ExDBigysmals
The Godfather
The Godfather

PostSubject: Re: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 2:36 pm

Exactamundo

Fun fact for everyone hear to think about. In our spiralling economy what two things have actually gone up dramatically in sales??????

Alcohol
Guns

Im sure drug sales have gone up as well.

Count on Americans to grab hold of the whiskey and rifles when times get tough lol
Back to top Go down
Exd Bloodshot
Local Shinobi
Exd Bloodshot

PostSubject: Re: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? EmptyThu Mar 26, 2009 9:27 pm

and on a final note, guns kick ass
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guns... yay or nay?   Guns... yay or nay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Guns... yay or nay?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Exodus Forums :: Chit Chat :: The Great Debate-
Jump to: